GIVING UP A PET IS A TOUGH DECISION. WE UNDERSTAND AND WE’RE HERE TO HELP.
The Humane Society of Chittenden County offers many resources and educational opportunities to help you maintain the treasured bond that you have with your animal companions. Before you make the decision to give up your pet, consider contacting us for help. Please also click here to visit our Resources page.
If you have to give up a pet, we accept, by appointment, animals brought to us from Chittenden or Grand Isle County regardless of health or behavioral issues. We do not euthanize animals for space and we don’t set time limits on their stay with us; this means we have to schedule new animals coming in to our facility carefully to ensure there’s enough space. We do our best to accommodate emergency situations and we're happy to offer support and supplies until the next available appointment.
- To schedule an appointment to bring in an animal, please call us at (802) 862-0135 x10.
- We’ll send you a form to fill out so that we have all of your pet’s information. This will help us provide the best care possible for your pet and is important in finding a good match for their new home.
- You must be the legal owner of the animal you are bringing in, or have signed documentation from the owner. Please bring your photo ID to the appointment.
- Please be on time for your appointment and bring your animal's medical records, along with any special diets, toys or other items to make him or her more comfortable. If you can, please bring your animal up to date on vaccinations - this will help protect him or her while at the shelter.
- Consider a donation. HSCC receives no public funding and relies solely on donations in order to provide care to the roughly 1,000 animals that come to our shelter each year. While we have no required intake or surrender fee, and no animal is ever turned away because of an inability to make a donation, we kindly ask that you consider a minimum donation of $50.
- If you make other arrangements, please be courteous and call us to cancel your appointment. We’ll likely fill that opening with another animal in need!
Adoption Center Hours:
Tuesday through Friday 1pm – 6pm
Saturday 10am – 4pm
* Please note that HSCC is
closed on Sundays & Mondays
August 27, 2015